Take on your lawn one task at a time, and work through these lawn care and maintenance tips for the beginner to help kick start your lawns health for the season.
Caring for your first lawn is a great feeling, Here is how to start and where to go from there. By learning how to care for your lawn, you can see your plans for a healthy thick lawn and backyard family entertainment come true.
Lawn care and maintenance experts agree that there are universal steps to take to get the perfect lawn, and your lawn can have that if you take time to understand the needs of grass in Southern Maryland. Follow these lawn care and maintenance tips to help kick start your lawn.
Your spring lawn care begins with the previous September – October care and maintenance performed on your lawn with a combination of proper care and maintenance techniques in:
Lawn Care and Maintenance Guide for Homeowners
Lawn Care and Mowing Start in the Spring!
As spring closes in your lawn begins to wake up from its winter dormancy; a lawn care routine should begin in April when soil temperatures are ready to support growth. Its best to start with a good mowing and edging to kick start annual maintenance.
Lawns should be mowed on a weekly basis, ensuring that no more than 1/3 of the height of the grass is removed. Weekly mowing will stimulate growth all season long.
The Best Grasses for Your Region
Create exceptional lawns with grasses suited to their growing regions, turf grasses vary in their climate preferences and tolerances for drought, shade, and other conditions.
Cool season grasses peak in growth during cool temperatures in fall and spring, warm season grasses excel in summer heat and warmer climates. Selecting a tall fescue grass seed is an excellent choice for Calvert County homeowners.
The most common types of turf in Maryland are:
- Tall Fescue
- Fine Fescue
Fall is the Ideal Time to Aerate and Seed Your Lawn
During the fall is when you can make or break all of the hard work you have put into your Southern Maryland Calvert County lawn. Fall is the perfect growth time for planting new grass, making it the best time to aerate, seed, and get your turf prepared for winter dormancy.
Take time to understand how to read a seed tag, many companies sell seed purchased on the open market and the contents may surprise you. But with premium smart grass seed, you can buy with confidence and enjoy a sustainable lawn with increased resistance to drought. Follow these simple lawn care and maintenance tips each season for a better lawn.
Aerating helps your lawn breathe better and provides added nutrients, sunlight, and water deep down into your lawn’s roots. It is important to take the time or have an expert crew come aerate your lawn and then overseeding it.
Overseeding helps fill in your bare spots on your lawn and help new, healthy grass seed sprout. When lawns are over-seeded, the new grass is able to crowd out weeds easier and allow the healthy shoots to continue growing strong.
After seeding, the ground must be kept moist until the seeds have taken root and started to grow. Make sure not to overwater or you can drown them.
Keep an eye on the weather and maintain approximately one inch of water weekly on your lawn to guarantee it stores up for winter dormancy and provides your property with thick, lush, green grass in the spring.
Hiring a local Calvert County, MD area company, such as Calvert Lawn Care can take the burden of routine maintenance off your shoulders.
Additional Lawn Care and Maintenance Tips for the Beginner
There are many ways to get it wrong when it comes to proper lawn care. It can be hard and time consuming for homeowners to care for their landscaping and grass on a weekly basis.
However, while you are deciding on whether to tackle your lawn DIY or hire a professional, here are some additional lawn care and maintenance guide tips in caring for your lawn:
- Manage water wisely. Your lawn needs about an inch of water per week to thrive. An automated sprinkler/irrigation system will help ensure water is evenly distributed on a set schedule.
- DIY all-in-one combination grass seed, fertilizer, and soil enhancer. Reclaim your turf with less work and more leisure for you with a tall fescue seed all in one formulation.
- Feed your grass. Keep your lawn lush, vibrant, and green with nitrogen. Be careful feeding too much or too often causes more harm than good. Your soil test results will recommend how many pounds of nitrogen your lawn needs annually, an important lawn care and maintenance guide step to follow.
- Knowing your lawns soil. Get to know your soil, what happens above ground reflects what’s going on underneath. You can take accurate samples yourself to determine soil pH, include samples for problem spots such as bare areas.
- Fix underlying issues. Correct problems now with your soil test results, for example lime restores balance to soil pH so grass can draw on available nutrients.
- Mowing height and health. Always follow the 1/3 rule for mowing. Mowing heights vary according to grass type and the season. Change mowing heights gradually over several sessions. Never remove more than one-third of the blade length at a time, or you risk inhibiting good growth above and below ground.
Soon, your lawn will be thriving for years!
Call the Lawn Maintenance Experts
Take time to understand the needs of your lawn and work with Calvert Lawn Care who are experts in lawn maintenance. To get an estimate for aeration and overseeding for your lawn call today, 410-777-5650.